XDN Tweaker – Tweak Windows to the MAX
XDN Tweaker is a free tweaking program for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and Windows 7. Maintaining a Windows system means more than just deleting files and folders. This system-tweaking tool supports both XP, Vista systems and Windows 7 in a single package. It does require the host machine have .NET installed. Other than that it provides a wealth of system adjustments and fine-tuning options Definitely needed in the professional system maintainer’s toolbox of applications.
XDN Tweaker Features
- Changes the number of Folder views Windows saves.
- Resets the folder views Windows has saved.
- Add/Remove classic Windows 2000 user control panel icon.
- Disable/Enable ATI Catalyst Control Center right click on Desktop
- Disable/Enable ‘SendTo’ right-click menu.
- Allows you to adjust and tweak TCP/IP settings.
- Disable/Enable ZipFolders.
- Disable/Enable the Outlook Express/Windows Mail splash screen.
- Put the File menu above the Back/Forward buttons in IE7.
- Remove or Replace the Search box in IE7.
- Disable/Enable User Account Control prompts under Vista.
- Disable/Enable the “- Shortcut” text under Vista.
- Attempt to force Vista to better save folder views.
- Disable/Enable Windows Media Player Explorer context menus.
- Add/Remove “Take Ownership” to right-click menus under Vista.
- Disable/Enable the Documents item on the Classic Start Menu.
- Changes “Delete” to “Search…” on Recycle Bin.
- Turn off the annoying full screen “black” UAC prompt.
- Add/Remove the Network Connections icon to Control Panel
- Enable Classic Search in Explorer and Internet Explorer.
- Disable/Enable Shutdown Reason dialog under Server 2003.
- Disable/Enable Windows scanning AVI files for thumbnails.
- Remove/Restore hidden ASPNET user that prevents auto login.
- Add “Tweak UI” icon to Control Panel (if installed).
Media Player Customizations
You can play around with some cool Windows Media Player tweaks.
Right Click Menu
You can add/remove some of the options in your context/right click menu e.g., adding/removing send to, adding/removing send to folder items etc.
Files and Folders
Windows only remembers a certain no. of folder views. Once you have reached that limit, it will no longer save the folder views. The default is 5000 for Windows XP and Windows Vista. You can change this setting through XDN Tweaker.
You can control the file associations especially in Windows Vista which offers no easy way to change the programs associated to a certain extension.
Internet Explorer 7
You can tweak some cool IE 7 settings.
You can easily disable the splash screens shown by Windows programs like outlook express.
You can play around with network settings but its only recommended for advanced users.
One of the advantages XDN Tweaker has is that it is portable, meaning that you have no need to install it. Just download and unzip it and start playing around. Its current version is 0.8.8.2. And the size of the download is about 252 KB. It requires .NET framework 2.0 or higher to be installed in order to work properly.