How to Make a Bootable Vista Ultimate Upgrade DVD
by Hiroshi on March 15th, 2009
This is how you create a bootable Vista Ultimate Upgrade DVD.
- Locate the downloaded files (boot.wim, install.wim, X1349120.exe) and copy them to your root drive (Ex C:\) Do not create a folder, just put them in the root drive.
- Run x1349120.exe, this will extract files to a folder named ‘Vista’ in your root drive. (Ex C:\Vista, where C is the drive letter in which you placed the files in step 1 )
- Download CDImage program. Extract and place cdimage.exe (place only the exe file, dont create a folder) in your root drive (same drive where you put the files in step 1).
- Open command prompt. (Start Menu>Run >cmd.exe . Press Enter)
- In command prompt navigate to C:\ drive (assuming C is your root drive). If you dont know how to do this, type ‘C:’ (without quotes) in command prompt and press enter. Then type ‘cd\’ (without quotes) and press enter once more.
- Type the following command exactly as displayed below, in command prompt. “cdimage m u2 b C:\Vista\boot\etfsboot.com C:\Vista C:\Vistax86.iso” (without quotes) Command prompt will display the progress of Image creation.
- Once it shows 100% complete, you will see a new file created in the C drive (Vistax86.iso) This is a Vista Ultimate Upgrade bootable image.
- Burn the newly created image using an image burner (Nero, PowerISO etc). Make sure you burn it using the ‘burn image’ or ‘disk image or saved project (in Nero)’ option in your Burner app. Burning the iso file to a single using normal burn wont work.
- Once the image is created, you can safely delete boot.wim, install.wim, X13 49120.exe files, Vista Directory (created in step 2), cdimage.exe file and Vistax86.iso files from your root drive.
You can now use the newly created bootable DVD to install Vista Ultimate Upgrade.