Free Advanced Text Editors for Developers and Programmers
If you are a developer or a programmer, then you might like something straight and yet powerful for your programming needs. Many programmers do not like Dreamweaver or any program for CSS, PHP, XHTML coding needs. They like notepad or TextPad or some text editor with syntax highlighting. Here are two programs which are like notepad but these are advanced with many other features and facilities for programming needs. They can code in a straight way with syntax highlighting feature and many other search, replace, mass edit, find and implement facilities. These programs are easy to use and very fast as compared to heavy Adobe Dreamweaver. And these are free!
Scintilla is a free source code editing component. It comes with complete source code and a license that permits use in any free project or commercial product. As well as features found in standard text editing components, Scintilla includes features especially useful when editing and debugging source code. These include support for syntax styling, error indicators, code completion and call tips. The selection margin can contain markers like those used in debuggers to indicate breakpoints and the current line. Styling choices are more open than with many editors, allowing the use of proportional fonts, bold and italics, multiple foreground and background colours and multiple fonts.
Download Scintilla (540 KB)
These is not an exhaustive feature list, but gives some idea of the features present in Programmer’s Notepad.
- Bookmarks (both numbered and plain)
- Code Folding/Outlining
- Docking tool windows – much better than those in version 1
- Excellent external tool support with user-configurable output matching – click on errors and warnings to jump right to the place in the file where they were generated
- Export to HTML (using CSS) and RTF
- File association manager
- In-file method/definition navigation (using Ctags)
- No limit on file size (although large files may take a while to load)
- Non fixed-width font support
- Projects and Project Groups with multi-level folders and file system mirroring
- Quick Search toolbar with links to Google and Google Groups
- Regular expression search and replace
- Support for unicode files
- Support for windows, unix and macintosh file formats
- Syntax highlighting for many languages through “schemes”.
- Tabbed MDI interface
- Text Clips
- Unlimited number of schemes supported, powerful syntax highlighting supporting both user-defined and built-in schemes
- User-defined schemes (XML)