Disable Internet Explorer – How To Password Protect Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is the most widely used internet browser even today when Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera are catching up fast. The reason behind this suggests that the ordinary internet user is stupid. They are happy with the internet explorer which comes with the Windows and do not bother to download another browser. I being a developer have to use all browsers which are out there. If you are not one of those stupids, and you have installed other browsers as well or prefer FireFox or Opera and your PC is also used by other people (friends/family) and you want that nobody would use internet explorer then you can password protect the Internet Explorer.
Internet Explorer 8 has got many enhancements and one enhancement is its Content Advisor. You can password protect internet explorer and disable any website to open through internet explorer or allow certain website to open through it. To enable password protection in Internet Explorer, follow the steps below:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Go to Tools > Internet Options > Content
- Under Content Advisor, click Enable.
- Create a new admin password and a hint. Hint can be a message to the user who is opening a site in Internet Explorer.
- Adjust the ratings slider to None so that no website can be opened without a password.
- In General Tab make sure you have checked “Supervisor can type a password to allow users to view restricted content”.
Now when you open any site in Internet Explorer, it will ask for a supervisor password like shown below.
You get three options:
- Always allow that site to be viewed without the password.
- Always allow that specific web page to be viewed without the password.
- Allow the site to open one time only.