Unable to Locate Component – d3dx9_42.dll was Not Found
A user pointed me out that he could not start fba emulator to play a game and encountered an error of ‘D3dx9_42.dll Not Found’.
fba.exe does not work, gives error ‘Unable to Locate Component. This application has failed to start because d3dx9_42.dll was not found.‘
Now it looks like that d3dx9_42.dll is missing, but its not. With a fresh installed OS you are most likely to encounter this error / warning. This problem has got an easy solution.
There are several ways that d3dx9_42.dll errors can show up on your computer. More common specific d3dx9_42.dll error messages are listed below:
“D3dx9_42.dll not found. Reinstalling might help fix this.”
“D3dx9_42.DLL Not Found”
“File d3dx9_42.dll not found”
D3dx9_42.dll errors appear when a game or other software program is started.
Things to Try
- Restart your computer.
The d3dx9_42.dll error might be a fluke and a simple restart could clear it up completely.
- Install the latest version of Microsoft DirectX. High chances are, upgrading to the latest version of DirectX will fix the d3dx9_42.dll not found error.
(Microsoft often releases updates to DirectX without updating the version number or letter so be sure to install the latest release even if your version is technically the same. The same DirectX installation program works with all versions of Windows including Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, and more. It will replace any missing DirectX 11, DirectX 10, or DirectX 9 file.)
- Assuming the latest DirectX version from Microsoft doesn’t fix the d3dx9_42.dll error you’re receiving, look for a DirectX installation program on your game or application DVD or CD. Usually, if a game or other program utilizes DirectX, the software developers will include a copy of DirectX on the installation disc.
Sometimes, though not often, the DirectX version included on the disc is a better fit for the program than the latest version available online.
- Uninstall the game or software program and then reinstall it again. Something might have happened to the files in the program that work with d3dx9_42.dll and a reinstall could do the trick.
- Restore the d3dx9_42.dll file from the latest DirectX software package. If the above troubleshooting steps haven’t worked to solve your d3dx9_42.dll error, try extracting the d3dx9_42.dll individually from the DirectX downloadable package.
- Update the drivers for your video card. While it’s not the most common solution, in some situations updating the drivers for the video card in your computer could correct this DirectX issue.
Update your DirectX software and this issue will be resolved.