9 iTunes Alternatives for iPod
Download 9 iPod Managers / iTunes alternatives. Manager your songs and iPod without iTunes.
Change: Add and remove music, videos, playlists and artwork on your iPod.
Backup: Backup all those tracks you just can’t lose onto your computer. Import them automatically into your iTunes library.
Share: SharePod can run straight from the iPod itself, so you can use it at work, school, home – wherever you and your iPod are.
Download SharePod (2 MB)
YamiPod is a freeware application to efficiently manage your iPod under Mac OS X, Windows and Linux. It can be run directly from your iPod and needs no installation.
Download Yamipod (mac,windows,linux)
Floola is a cross platform and portable freeware application to efficiently manage your iPod or your Motorola mobile phone (any model supporting iTunes except iPhone, iPod touch). It’s a standalone application that can be run directly from your iPod and needs no installation under Linux (any GTK2 distro), Mac OS X (10.3.9 or newer!) and Windows (98 or newer, including Windows 7).
- Put the application on iPod and launch it on any PC, immediately.
- add and extract songs to and from iPod.
- Easily manage, import and export (m3u, pls) playlists.
- add files to iPod just copying the page url
- Available in different languages.
- Lyric support even on older iPods (3G and above).
- Easily find duplicated songs on iPod.
- Easily find songs lost in your iPod.
- Add artwork to your songs easily.
- Videos can be added to iPod.
- Convert audio and video incompatible formats.
- Create HTML files containing list of your iPod files.
- Did a software mess up your iPod? Fix it!
- Manage notes.
- (Mac version only) Get beautiful system notifications.
- (Windows version only) Get beautiful system notifications.
- Play iPod’s music.
- Freedom to simply add photos to iPod.
Download Floola (mac, linux, windows)
Amarok is one of the most popular alternatives for transferring files and music between your computer and iPod. Amarok is subdivided into six parts: Context, Collection, Playlists, Files, Magnatune and Devices. This software was mainly developed because iTunes is not compatible with Unix.
Download Amarok (linux, mac, windows)
CopyTrans Manager is the perfect iTunes replacement for your iPhone or iPod. Add music and videos to iPod, edit song tags and artworks, create and organize iPhone playlists, preview tracks with the integrated music player. Manage your iPod without iTunes.
Download CopyTrans Manager
Download CopyTrans Manager (2.5 MB)
EphPod is another freeware application that allows your computer and iPod to interact. ephPod is very famous for its capacity to download songs and playlists quickly. Furthermore, the extra features of downloading latest news, weather, e-books and movie listings to your iPod distinguish ephPod from other software and make it pleasant to use. Development of ephPod seems to be at a halt and it therefore acks some useful features such as podcasts and videos.
EphPod is a full-featured, easy-to-use Windows application that connects with Apple’s iPod. With a FireWire card and EphPod on a PC, it takes under 30 minutes to transfer 1,000 songs to an iPod. In addition, EphPod supports standard WinAmp (.M3U) playlists, includes powerful playlist creation features, and will synchronize an entire music collection with one click. It imports Microsoft Outlook contacts, in addition to allowing users to create and edit their own contacts. EphPod can also download the latest news, weather, e-books, and movie listings to an iPod.
Download ephPod (3.2 MB)
Froddle Pod, is the coolest, COMPLETELY FREE iPod Manager around. Froddle Pod is feature rich, easy to use and simple to navigate. It has many of the same features as iTunes and other iPod managers but also includes many extras. Froddle Pod is another free iPod Manager that allows you to copy music and video files from and to your iPod. A part from the basic iPod manager functions, Froddle Pod offers some nice extras like ripping CDs and adjusting the volume of tracks. When writing this article, Froddle Pod supports most of the iPod models except iPhone, iPod Touch and iPod Shuffle.
Froddle Pod Features
- Copy music and videos directly to your iPod through an intuitive file browser interface
- Copy music and videos from your iPod to your PC or other storage medium
- Synchronize your iPod with a folder Backup everything on your iPod to another storage medium (eg. your hard drive)
- Restore a previous backup Delete media from your iPod Format your iPod (completing erasing it’s contents)
- Delete media from your iPod
- Format your iPod (completing erasing it’s contents)
- Rip audio from a CD to MP3’s ready to be transferred to your iPod
- Convert wave files to MP3’s ready to be transfered to your iPod
- Music normalization. Makes audio the same volume to the human ear. No more having to adjust the volume control on your iPod for each individual song.
- Normalize all audio on your iPod directly
- Normalize all audio in a specific folder
- Normalize individual audio files
- Play audio and video formats supported by the iPod (except quicktime format)
Download Froddle Pod
Download Froddle Pod (3 MB)
Gtkpod allows you to:
- Read your existing iTunesDB (i.e. import the existing contents of your iPod including playcounts, ratings and on-the-go playlists).
- Add MP3, WAV, M4A (non-protected AAC), M4B (audio book), podcasts, and various video files (single files, directories or existing playlists) to the iPod. You need a third party product to download podcasts, like ‘bashpodder’ or ‘gpodder’
- View, add and modify Cover Art
- Browse the contents of your local harddisk by album/artist/genre by adding all your songs to the ‘local’ database. From there the tracks can be dragged over to the iPod/Shuffle easily.
- Create and modify playlists, including smart playlists.
- You can choose the charset the ID3 tags are encoded in from within gtkpod. The default is the charset currently used by your locale setting.
- Extract tag information (artist, album, title…) from the filename if you supply a template.
- Detect duplicates when adding songs (optional).
- Remove and export tracks from your iPod.
- Modify ID3 tags — changes are also updated in the original file (optional).
- Refresh ID3 tags from file (if you have changed the tags in the original file).
- Sync directories.
- Normalize the volume of your tracks (uses mp3gain or the replay-gain tag)
- Write the updated iTunesDB and added songs to your iPod.
- Work offline and synchronize your new playlists / songs with the iPod at a later time.
- Export your korganizer/kaddressbook/thunderbird/evocalendar/evolution/webcalendar… data to the iPod (scripts for other programs can be added).
WinAmp + mliPod
The latest versions of Winamp contains a plug-in allowing a basic iPod management. However, to have more features, such as managing podcasts or album artwork, the mlipod plugin is necessary. This is a plug-in that integrates support for the iPod directly in the audio library of Winamp. Download WinAmp.