10 Best Portable Free Educational Software
Portable educational software include portable bible, space simulator, scientific prototyping, portable dictionaries, genealogical research software, globe and world atlas software in portable form, portable planet system, portable typing tutors and more. You can take these software in your USB drive and use anywhere free. Download 10 best portable education software.
BPBible Portable is the BPBible Bible study tool packaged as a portable app, so you can take your Bibles with you on your iPod, USB flash drive, portable hard drive, etc. It has all the same great features as BPBible including support Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, Gospel harmonies and more.
BPBible Portable is a free, open source Bible study package for your computer. It makes it so that you can read the Bible, view commentaries, look at dictionaries, examine Gospel harmonies, search Bibles, and lots more. With BPBible Portable, you can now study religious matter wherever you are, without needing to carry heavy books.
Celestia Portable is the popular planetarium program packaged with a PortableApps.com Launcher as a portable app, so you can view the universe in 3-D anywhere. It has all the same great features as Celestia including 3-D planet viewing, viewing over 100,000 stars, traveling beyond our galaxy, and more. Plus, it leaves no personal information behind on the machine you run it on, so you can take your favorite astronomy program with you wherever you go.
Unlike most planetarium software, Celestia doesn’t confine you to the surface of the Earth. You can travel throughout the solar system, to any of over 100,000 stars, or even beyond the galaxy. All movement in Celestia is seamless; the exponential zoom feature lets you explore space across a huge range of scales, from galaxy clusters down to spacecraft only a few meters across. A ‘point-and-goto’ interface makes it simple to navigate through the universe to the object you want to visit. Celestia is expandable. Celestia comes with a large catalog of stars, galaxies, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, and spacecraft. If that’s not enough, you can download dozens of easy to install add-ons with more objects.
FreeMat is a free environment for rapid engineering and scientific prototyping and data processing. It is similar to commercial systems such as MATLAB from Mathworks, and IDL from Research Systems, but is Open Source.
- N-dimensional array manipulation (by default, N is limited to 6)
- Support for 8,16, 32, and 64 bit integer types (signed and unsigned), 32 and 64 bit floating point types, and 64 and 128 bit complex types.
- Built in arithmetic for manipulation of all supported data types.
- Support for solving linear systems of equations via the divide operators.
- Eigenvalue and singular value decompositions
- Full control structure support (including, for, while, break, continue, etc.)
- 2D plotting and image display
- Heterogeneous array types (called “cell arrays” in MATLAB-speak) fully supported
- Full support for dynamic structure arrays
- Arbitrary-size FFT support
- Pass-by-reference support (an IDL feature)
- Keyword support (an IDL feature)
- Codeless interface to external C/C++/FORTRAN code
- Native sparse matrix support
- Function pointers (eval and feval are fully supported)
- Classes, operator overloading
- 3D Plotting and visualization via OpenGL
- Handle-based graphics
GoldenDict allows you to quickly and easily lookup words and phrases in multiple dictionaries as well as wikipedia and other online sources.
GoldenDict has its own internal web browswer with tab support. It supports multiple dictionary file formats (Babylon .BGL files, StarDict .ifo/.dict./.idx/.syn dictionaries, Dictd .index/.dict(.dz) dictionary files, ABBYY Lingvo .dsl and .lsa/.dat audio archives; all of which can be added by placing them in the GoldenDict\Data\content directory while the app is closed. GoldenDict supports Wikipedia, Wiktionary, or any other MediaWiki-based sites as well as websites via templated Url patterns. And lots more.
Gramps is a genealogy program that is both intuitive for hobbyists and feature-complete for professional genealogists. Every person has their own story but they are also part of a collective family history. Gramps gives you the ability to record the many details of an individual’s life as well as the complex relationships between various people, places and events. All of your research is kept organized, searchable and as precise as you need it to be.
- Gramplets – A dashboard to help you monitor the progress of your research. A variety of widgets provide quick analysis of your data and more.
- People – A list of every individual in your records featuring birth/death dates and more.
- Relationships – A summary of the active person’s parents, siblings, spouses and children.
- Families – A list of every family group featuring parent names, relationship status and, if applicable, marriage dates.
- Ancestry – A graphic representation of the active person’s ancestry featuring photos and birth/death dates.
- Events – A list of every event in your records featuring descriptions, event types, dates and places.
- Places – A list of every place in your records featuring place names and location details.
- Geography – An interactive map view highlighting places associated with one person, a group of people or all people in your records.
- Sources – A list of all sources referenced in your records featuring authors and publication details.
- Repositories – A list of source repositories referenced in you records featuring web addresses, physical addresses and email contact information.
- Media – A list of all photos, videos and other media referenced in your records featuring thumbnail preview, media type and more.
- Notes – A list of all text notes included in your records featuring note type and preview.
Marble is a Virtual Globe and World Atlas that you can use to learn more about Earth: You can pan and zoom around and you can look up places and roads. A mouse click on a place label will provide the respective Wikipedia article.
Of course it’s also possible to measure distances between locations or watch the current cloud cover. Marble offers different thematic maps: A classroom-style topographic map, a satellite view, street map, earth at night and temperature and precipitation maps. All maps include a custom map key, so it can also be used as an educational tool for use in class-rooms. For educational purposes you can also change date and time and watch how the starry sky and the twilight zone on the map change.
In opposite to other virtual globes Marble also features multiple projections: Choose between a Flat Map (“Plate carré”), Mercator or the Globe. Note that the current release of Marble for Windows may crash when closing on some systems.
Mnemosyne is a feature-rich flashcard memorization tool. It uses an advanced algorithm to determine when each card should be shown to maximize effectiveness.
The Mnemosyne software resembles a traditional flash-card program to help you memorise question/answer pairs, but with an important twist: it uses a sophisticated algorithm to schedule the best time for a card to come up for review. Difficult cards that you tend to forget quickly will be scheduled more often, while Mnemosyne won’t waste your time on things you remember well. There are dozens of card sets available on the app homepage.
Stellarium Portable is the popular Stellarium astronomy program packaged with a PortableApps.com Launcher as a portable app, so you can take your astronomical viewing settings with you. It has all the same great features as Stellarium including constellation drawing, star names, planet viewing, nebulae watching, and more. Plus, it leaves no personal information behind on the machine you run it on, so you can take your favorite astronomy program with you wherever you go.
Stellarium Portable is a free, open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars, or a telescope. You can view the planets and gaze at the stars in stunning detail. Stellarium includes vivid illustrations of the constellations and a theatrical display of ravishing nebulae and galaxies. With Stellarium Portable, you can transform any computer into a stargazing centerpiece.
TIPP10 is a free touch typing tutor with a special intelligence feature. Characters that are mistyped are repeated more frequently. Beginners will find their way around right away so they can start practicing without a hitch.
- Easy to use and for free – Simple, clear interface is usable by beginners and even children. It even includes a typing game.
- Intelligent text selection – Mistyped letters will be repeated more frequently to help you learn faster.
- Ticker and virtual assistance keyboard – Keys and keypaths are shown on-screen in a user-customizable ticker.
- Detailed results – Comprehensive reports and lists of completed lessons allow you to easily track your progress and see which fingers and keys need work.
- Open lessons and using your own texts – Adding lessons for particular styles (legal, programming, etc) are also available. You can even create your own.
- Extensive customization – A wide variety of customizations is available.
TypeFaster is a free typing tutor teaches you how to touch-type. Once you can touch-type you will not need to look at the keyboard to find the letters you want to type.
- Supports multiple keyboard layouts and more can be added easily (see the developers section). Includes support for non-rectangular keys. The following keyboard layouts are currently supported: Danish, Finnish, French, French-Belgian, German, Hebrew (no lesson files), Italian, Norwegian, Numeric Keypad, Portuguese, Spanish, UK-English, US-Dvorak, US-English
- A clear indication of which fingers to use. This is the essence of touchtyping.
- A 3D typing game.
- Typing statistics and the option of practising the least accurate/slowest/custom keys.
- Keyboard is not a fixed size (resolution independent).
- Multi-user support.
- Teacher support (view student statistics).
- Interface for editing lesson files and game settings.
- Backspace support
- Right to left text support.
- Variable text size.
- Lesson files can be prose or poems.
- Lesson progress indicator.